Sunday, March 11, 2012

Time Capsules

Okay, well I guess it's my turn now.

Here's a short story I wrote in 6th grade. It's strange, but everything else I found that was "worth sharing" involved pictures, and I didn't have the patience to scan them all. Maybe some other time...
But anyway. I suppose I'll follow the format that each of you did, with the different colored comments. Here it goes.

Also sorry if my comments are really long, and sort of distract from the plot. But it's not super compelling anyway. So I suppose it doesn't matter.

................................................................................................................................

Rumors have been circulating for years now that aliens are visiting our planet. Yeah. I have a feeling I had recently seen Alien Autopsy when I wrote this. I was interested in the whole Roswell case. It is believed by many that we are being watched by them, and it is believed by some that they are even taking pictures of us. This makes more sense once you know the ending... Now it has been confirmed. Their craft recently crash landed and we have captured three alive.

Being I am head security, I was called in to ask them questions. This was an unfortunately difficult task. I don't know how aliens would be. I tried to imagine how difficult the process would be if we captured some. But anyway. I don't think I did a very good job at it. I make it sound like it was simple. They did not communicate the same way we did. Their appearance was unusual as well. They had hair growing in odd places on their face. Like us, they would breathe through two holes on their face. But their skin, it was deep color unknown to be a skin color, and their eyes were colors just unknown. I had fun thinking about this line. I mean, it's impossible to imagine colors that are unknown to us, we think they can't exist...we know all the colors that exist. But I thought, what if aliens appear with colors we've never seen or couldn't imagine until that very moment we saw them? That would be insane. Like...you remember watching "Flatland"? It'd be like that. They all appeared to be of the same species, yet they all looked so different. I think it's interesting how, when we portray aliens, they all look the same. Humans don't all look the same.

We had studied them for a while and finally got a communication pattern down. I was to ask them a few questions.

"What are you doing on our planet?" I asked. If we actually could communicate with aliens that crash landed on our planet, I would hope we wouldn't just open up with this question. It's rude.

They were all shocked initially by the communication. Perhaps they thought we were not intelligent enough to figure out their language. I mean, I can hardly figure out languages that exist on our planet. It would be extremely difficult to figure out another language. ALSO. What is this assumption that aliens have a language? What if the aliens that crash landed were the equivalent to our dogs or something? The darkest looking of the species finally spoke back. We assume him to be their leader. Racist against the lighter-toned of the species. 

"We just, we didn't know there was life on your planet. This is a very important discovery for us. We were sent here from our home planet to investigate."

"Your home planet," I questioned, "and where might that be?"

Oh my gosh you guys there's actually no suspenseful build up to this line. "We call our planet, Earth."
See that was so non-suspenseful! I mean, the whole point was that you sit here thinking it's humans who have discovered this alien race, but it's actually from the perspective of a species from another planet of which we invaded. Like, what if someday, we are the aliens? But anyway. I would say it's generally poorly written.
But...if I can pat myself on the back just a little bit, I do like the concept, still.


...............................................................................................................................

So that's that.
Moving on.

I know I made this point briefly in my vlog about the future, but I really liked this "assignment" Jenna gave us because it's cool to look at what each of you wrote when you were younger, and it was fun going through my old things, as well.

I think we make time capsules on accident, just from living life. If we think to save things, later we can look at them and they are just like a time capsule only better. I think they're more genuine. Because when you make a time capsule with the intention of making a time capsule...you know what information you are adding or keeping from it. And that takes away from its authenticity.

Umm.
*Forest Gump voice* That's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT, plot twist! I totally did not see that coming! Haha, but yeah I agree with you, that's a really cool idea. And your writing is so straightforward, I feel like that's what Composition teachers wish we did now, but we always go overboard with saying the simplest things.

    And your time capsule comment is so true. You always have such neat thoughts, Kira. SINCE THE SIXTH GRADE.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww that's cool to think about. You should make it an end of chapter around the last line or a commercial break or something, that'll add suspense!

    I also really like your time capsule comment, it's so true and deep. That's why I love to keep my old writings :)

    ReplyDelete