Sunday, October 14, 2012

Words, words, words

Something I've always been keen on is words.

There's something incredible about the way words can affect one person entirely differently than they do another.

I've mentioned this before.

The reason it's become suddenly relevant to me is because of this quote:

"In order to move on, you must understand why you felt what you did and why you no longer need to feel it."
- Mitch Albom, Five People You Meet in Heaven

I read that book, a long time ago.
Those words didn't mean anything to me at the time. That quote didn't stand out.

But seeing it now, it means so much.

See, for a while I had been struggling with a lot of things. There are a few CAs here that I strongly admire as people and as friends, and I talked to them about how conflicted I was feeling. They both told me the same thing, about how who I am now was affected by my past, but that doesn't mean my past has to haunt me.

They told me I need to let go of it all.

I thought I had. I told them that I had completely come to terms with everything, and that I had accepted it. But accepting something and moving on are different.

The accepting is merely to identify what it was that I felt. Moving on is the part where I establish why I don't need to feel it anymore.

And that's what I'm focusing on, now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that quote is really deep. It's easy to just glaze over it and think you understood it, because that's what I did when I was reading this blog post through the first time. I really hope that whatever you were struggling with has gotten easier. I love youuu.

    Side note, I've been meaning to read that book. Is it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good book. I read it a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete