Friday, July 15, 2016

It's a Wonderful (enough) Life

I have this obsession with the 40's. I'm not exactly sure when this developed, or why per se, but I have this romanticized view of life back then that makes me feel almost nostalgic. Can you feel nostalgia for something you've never experienced? Anyway, it doesn't make sense when I really think about it. Things were far from great back then, what with World War II and all.

But looking at the pop culture of the time, with television and movies and music (especially the music) and it feels so wholesome. I think part of it was the simplicity, and with all the technology we have now (for as much as I appreciate it and clearly abuse it...) we have so many expectations and our culture has less...culture.

It's not that I wish I'd lived in the 1940's, but I guess I wish life was a bit more like that now. I wish more people were into swing dancing instead of dabbing, and that music was more in the style of Fred Astaire, Very Lynn, and Frank Sinatra instead of Pitbull, Rihanna, and Fetty Wap. I wish we had more actors like Jimmy Stewart and fewer like Adam Sandler.

I feel like modern culture is so tasteless. But at the same time, there's so much about living now that's truly incredible. It's hard to say. Every era has its iconic contributions, and every era also has its struggles (*cough* the upcoming election).

I guess I can't do anything about it, so the best thing is to just sit back and be grateful that modern technology allows me to access aspects of 1940's culture. I guess I can have both, in some ways. It's not the same but it'll have to do.


This week's goal: Finish Trainspotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment