Thursday, June 11, 2015

This summer is the best.

Okay so I don't have an internship, I'm not traveling, I'm re-taking a course, and I'm working less than 20 hours per week between two jobs. BUT. This summer is honestly the best.

The disappointingly-sparse schedule I have gives me plenty of free time which usually consists of reading (all those I've-Been-Meaning-To books), getting to hangout with my Summer-Ames friends (who are all great), and of course getting to occasionally watch some mindless Netflix.

Every Tuesday we go to Taco Tuesday at Es Tas (the bar I live above), Wednesdays are for family dinners, Pint Night, and broomball (which is rad as heck), the weekends are for chilling out and drinking, and any night is a good night for spontaneous events (drinks or dinner with friends, sitting outside and chatting, playing Frisbee..) and honestly I'm loving life.

Working at Bookends was initially upsetting because I wanted to work at Courtyard since it's my usual café, I already know my co-workers, and know the regular customers. But Dominique is a hoot, and I've become acquainted with new Regulars which is refreshing.

I adore working bev-cart so far. I'm slowly getting to know my co-workers who didn't seem too promising to begin with, but of course.. "the results of being open minded will always surprise you". And the Regulars there are a lot of fun too (heavy drinkers, big tippers).

Knowing that I hate summer with the heat and humidity, it's surprisingly nice to be outside for most of the days. Yes, I get sweaty and gross, but I'll probably get tan soon and I feel good which is so wonderful.

I'm loving Doc Winter; he's adorable and a great professor. I'm thinking Organic might be like Transport in feeling a lot of satisfaction in truly working hard to understand the material. Even if I don't get an A and have flawless exams, I'm getting a lot out of this experience.

And of course, the friends I have in Ames this summer aren't my usual crew to hang out with, but I'm getting to know these friends a lot better and I'm meeting new people.

Life is fun. This summer feels very "college", and I'm hoping it's the last summer I'll have that feels this free and unproductive, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Cheers.


This week's Weekly Distraction

No comments:

Post a Comment