Thursday, February 12, 2015

Lost like a bug in the night

Last week I kept track of something beautiful that I noticed each day.

It was triggered on Day 1, when I was out on my balcony.
I looked at our porch light, and noticed a cluster of bugs which had gathered on it, having flown toward the light due to their innate sense of navigation.

Bugs navigate by the light of the moon, and sadly, we have created these artificial beacons for them.

Their use of moonlight is to keep it at a constant angle, so that they can keep a straight path. Upon their detection of a porch light, the attempt to keep the light at a constant angle causes them to fly in circles around the light, since it radiates on all sides.

Eventually, many of the bugs fly straight into the light, which leads inevitably to their death. Burning from the intensity of the light that was supposed to guide them... now that's why I call a fatal attraction.

My senior year of high school, I read Our Vanishing Night by Verlyn Klinkenborg. It was fascinating, but mostly in a sad way. I would strongly encourage you to read the essay.

When I had initially noticed the bugs which had become entrapped by our porch light, I thought it was a sort of beautiful concept. Of course, I took a rather philosophical view on it, imagining that the bugs were attracted to the light out of its allure, and seemingly being unable to resist it until they were literally ignited by the attraction. It reminded me of the Sirens who taunt the sailors with their dangerous enchantment.
I like the idea that something can be so intoxicating that it kills you... but was it worth it, in the end?

Now, thinking about it as a reality and understanding the real cause, I feel sad and somewhat disgusted by the whole situation. I know they are "just bugs", but there's more to the problem of light pollution than killing a few insignificant beings. And who are we to say they are so insignificant, anyway?

Some food for thought, maybe. Or perhaps I'm just over-analyzing.


This week's Weekly Distraction

No comments:

Post a Comment