Monday, July 15, 2013

Hello friends.

This summer has been a pretty mild one, to say the least.

For starters, I didn't get a job (which I am still bitter about, but I'll save you the ranting), I haven't seen very much of my friends (until recently), and a lot of the plans I've been making keep getting canceled or postponed (which kind of goes with the last point).

All in all, I haven't done much with my summer. I go for runs, I eat, I watch TV, I sit outside and read, I do yard work..

As I started thinking about it, I wondered, is it my fault that I'm not doing anything?

In most respects, yes. I'll admit, I haven't been as aggressive about solidifying plans with people, or when plans are made, I don't always put forth the effort to be a part of them.

What I've found is that for as much as I think I've changed in college, I revert back to my high school ways when I'm back at home.

I revert to being a homebody. I don't see what my friends are up to because I'd rather be reading the book I'm about to finish. I don't go to the bonfire because I'd rather sit in my room and play my uke. I don't try to make plans with the friends I haven't seen in months because I'm used to the idea of being able to see them whenever, since being at home makes it feel like things are the way they were.

In my own defense, being on a campus does make it easier to do spontaneous things with friends.

The reality is that we're not in high school anymore. Everyone's life is filling up with obligations and fulfillment of responsibilities. People are going to start occupying their breaks with trips, work, taking extra classes, internships.. 

Sooner or later, the windows of opportunity to see certain friends are going to close. Some might be unexpected, even. That doesn't bother me, or scare me, or make me sad. For some friends, that's just the way it goes. But this made me realize how much keeping in touch takes an effort. And I know I'm not the best at it, because I get caught up in everything else. 

I'm going to try and make a better effort, from now on. I love my friends, and there are some that I'd like to keep seeing from time to time, until it becomes inconvenient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment